Ardour is a complete digital audio workstation. You can use it to record and edit your audio to preference. It also allows multi-track recording and mixdown, giving you the power to produce your own music.
Since two heads are better than one, Ardour makes your work easy to share, giving you the ability to collaborate with other Ardour users.
Ardour capabilities include:
- Multi-channel recording.
- Non-linear, non-destructive region based editing with unlimited undo/redo.
- Full automation support.
- A mixer whose capabilities rival high end hardware consoles.
- Lots of plugins to warp, shift and shape your music.
- Controllable from hardware control surfaces at the same time as it syncs to timecode.
New in v3 Beta5
- New Functionality and Changes
- Some changes on the interface behavior
- MIDI bugfixes
- Supports Generic MIDI control surface
- Supports Mackie Control
- MIDNAM, Plugin preset & Program Changes
- Various build and coding bugfixes
- Updated Russian and Spanish translations.
New in v3 Beta3
- Give route groups their own colors
- Allow route groups to color their tracks
- Add option to insert time on all a track's playlists
- Option to glue new markers to bars and beats
- Implement invert selection for MIDI notes
- Add Selection-by-note-range for MIDI notes
- Add session option "MIDI-region-copy-is-fork". If set, all MIDI region copies will be independent from each other; settable via Session->Properties->Misc
- Offer explicit monitoring choices, so that tracks can be forced to monitor their inputs (and more)
- Auto-connect new track/bus inputs to physical ports is now the default
- Auto-connect new track/bus outputs to the master bus is now the default
- Experimental, incomplete reimplementation of Freesound browser
- Add option to have track/bus selection linked between the editor and mixer windows
- GUI improvements
New in v2.8.12
- OS X Lion Support
- Alignment correction of recorded audio
- Open session files directly through Ardour
- Merge mono files
- Some changes to automation data recording
- Remove unnecessary control points in automation data as it is recorded
- Allow timecode to skip forwards or backwards or even loop while recording automation
- Bound both Backspace and Delete for delete function (for Mac users)
- New route groups are turned "on" at creation
- F4 is now bound to the real action, not the separate sub-menu (ergnomic bindings)
- Removed unimplemented rhythm ferret options in A2
- Common operations in the range menu are now easily accessible.
- Bugfixes and crash fixes
See our special feature on Music Production Software