Featured in Hitsquad's recommended list of the best DAW Software
Cakewalk say this is DAW 2.0 and their catchphrase is "SONAR has evolved and so can the way you make music".
There are three versions:
Enhancements and updates in version X2a
- Support for Windows 8 for both 32 and 64-bit
- Multi-Touch support
- New "Now Time markers" that indicate playback and recording status
- Enhanced playlist view
- Improved User Interface
- Enhanced context menu for adding ProChannel modules
- Better piano roll view and staff view interface
- Mouse pointer now shows the name of the items you are dragging from the browser
- Improved accessibility features
- Now lets you scan VST folders from the browser
- Automatic checking for software updates
- Various other UI improvements
- Automation improvements
- Various other bugfixes and enhancements.
Enhancements and updates in version X2
- Improved Skylight interface
- Improved Smart Tool
- Improved automation features
- Enhanced audio and MIDI engine
- SoundCloud integration
- New R-Mix Sonar
- Various other improvements
Enhancements and updates in version X1d
This update is free for registered SONAR X1 owners with SONAR X1 Expanded (build 425) or SONAR X1c Producer/Studio/Essential (build 319).
- Usability Enhancements
- Grouping improvements
- Enhancements for VS-700 & SONAR X1d integration
- Key binding enhancements
- Rewire 64
- QuadCurve EQ
- Improved FX Chain 2.0 (Expanded version only)
- Updated PX-64 Percussion Strip v1.0.2
- Updated VX-64 Vocal Strip v1.0.3
- New Commands
- Stability and Bugfixes
Enhancements and updates in version X1c
This update is free for registered SONAR X1 owners.
You can now group and select busses:
- ALT+CLICK on a bus will select that bus and all upstream sources
- ALT+CLICK on a track will select that track and all downstream destinations
Last Note Selected for Draw Tool
Sonar now remembers the duration of the previous note clicked when the ‘Last Selected’ item is checked in either the HUD (Heads Up Display) or the Control Bar. When the draw duration is set to ‘Last Selected’ the draw duration will be whatever the last note clicked on in the Staff, Piano Roll or Inline Piano Roll views.
23.976 FPS Timecode format
SONAR now supports 23.976 frames per second on the time ruler.
User Interface Updated
- New UI for Step Sequencer
- New UI for Loop Construction View
A full list of bug fixes and improvements is available at http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013250
Enhancements and updates in version X1b
In SONAR X1b it is now possible to apply the ProChannel (Producer only) and the Sonitus:fx EQ (Studio only) to Surround Busses. This addresses a number of issues, including potential crash issues with Sonitus:fx EQ being moved to the FX bin when loading a project saved in SONAR 8.5.
EQ and ProChannel for Surround Busses
- It is not possible to access the Surround Bridge UI for the Sonitus:fx EQ or ProChannel when used on Surround Busses. This means that un-linking channels and other Surround Bridge options are not available.
- Sidechaining is not possible with the surround-bridged ProChannel compressors (Producer only).
Auto-Enable for ProChannel Modules (Producer only)
ProChannel modules will now auto-enable when used for the first time. Please note the following:
- The first time a control is touched or moved within a given module, it will turn the respective module ON.
- Any subsequent changes to any control in the same module (other than the enable/disable command) will not enable or disable the module.
- This command is persisted per-module, per track and per project - once a specific module has auto-enabled once, it will not auto-enable a second time.
ProChannel Freezes with Track (Producer only)
When freezing a track the ProChannel will now freeze as well. In order to reflect this, the ProChannel will become grayed-out. When the track is un-frozen the ProChannel will be re-enabled.
An updated control surface plug-in for the VS-700 is included with SONAR X1b. A full pdf of changes is available here. In short:
- ProChannel support added to the CHANNEL STRIP CONTROL (Producer only).
- Updated controls in the ACCESS PANEL as well as updated functionality to mirror workflow changes in X1.
- Addressed other workflow and controls from 8.5 to X1.
A new version of the VS-20 control surface plug-in is included with X1b. This update now allows for the DAW OUTPUT control on the VS-20 hardware to control both the left and right faders of the hardware Main Output in SONAR.
V-Vocal has been updated with SONAR X1b, issues addressed include:
- Fixed a potential crash that could occur when changing time durations of a V-Vocal clip.
- Fixed a potential crash that could occur when removing a V-Vocal clip.
- Fixed a potential crash that could occur when adjusting a V-Vocal clip.
- Addressed an error with looping V-Vocal clips.
- Included several general stability improvements when working with V-Vocal.
Console Layout Updates
SONAR X1b includes updates and improvements for the Console Strips including:
- Removed drop arrows and overlay icons from controls in Narrow Strips, allowing additional characters to be displayed.
- Adjusted labels and label positions on various controls.
- Removed ellipsis from FX bin to allow seeing as much of the FX name as possible.
- An editable EQ plot has been added to narrow strips for ProChannel (Producer only).
- Track name and number have been moved to separate rows allowing for longer track names to be displayed.
Console Selection Enhancements and Re-ordering
- It is now possible to select non-adjacent tracks in the Console View. To do this hold SHIFT or CTRL while clicking on a track strip's Track Number field.
- It is also now possible to re-order tracks. Hold ALT while dragging a track to change its position. This gesture is available from any open part of a track strip.
- A "Loop Preview" toggle has been added to the Media menu of the Browser. When enabled, SONAR will preview clips the same as with X1a. When disabled, SONAR will always preview a clip starting from the beginning and will play through a single time, ideal for one-shots.
- It is now possible to view, preview, and add FLAC files to a project from within the Browser.
- The hit-zone for docking has been limited to the top section of the MultiDock, limiting the chance for unintentional docking.
- When the MultiDock is floating, pressing D will now minimize the MultiDock as opposed to re-docking it.
ASIO Dynamic Sample Rate Improvements
Improvements have been made to the way SONAR handles dynamic sample rate changes with ASIO devices. If an ASIO driver supports changing its sample rate dynamically, it will be possible to load SONAR projects at different sample rates. SONAR will automatically switch the device sample rate when playback is started without requiring a restart of the application.
Keybindings and Hot Keys
- CTRL + SHIFT + F12 has been added as the default control to toggle Snap modes between Move-To and Move-By.
- It is now possible to bind a key to Snap to Measure.
Clip Length Format Changed
Clip lengths are now displayed in Beats:Ticks format. This provides a consistent, accurate length value despite meter changes in a project.
To solve an issue that could be encountered when using more than 4GB of RAM the following effects and instruments have been updated (x86 and x64):
- Channel Tools.
- Linear Phase EQ.
- Linear Phase Multiband Compressor.
- PX-64 Percussion Strip.
- VX-64 Vocal Strip.
- TS-64 Transient Shaper.
- TL-64 Tube Leveler.
- Session Drummer 3.
- Studio Instruments - Bass.
- Studio Instruments - Drums.
- Studio Instruments - Piano.
- Studio Instruments - Strings.
To solve a potential crash that could be encountered when automating, the following effects have been updated (x86 and x64):
- Cakewalk Alias Factor.
- Cakewalk Classic Phaser.
- Cakewalk Compressor / Gate.
- Cakewalk HF Exciter.
- Cakewalk Modfilter.
- Cakewalk Multivoice Chorus/Flanger.
- Cakewalk Parametric EQ.
- Cakewalk Studioverb2 (x86 only).
- Cakewalk Tempo Delay.
- Cakewalk Bitmeter.
XRayExclue.ini has been updated to exclude Nugen Audio. This avoids an issue with Nugen Audio plug-ins by preventing X-Ray from affecting those plug-ins.
- The Master.ins file has been updated to include support for the Roland JUNO-Gi Synthesizer.
- Four Project Templates will be installed to the JUNO-Gi subdirectory of the Project Templates folder.
- A JUNO-Gi Control Surface Preset has been included.
Cakewalk: Sonar X1 Expanded, PC4K S-Type Expander/Gate Module, and the Sonar X1 Production Suite
Cakewalk Releases Music Creator 6
Other Cakewalk Products
PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor for Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
Cakewalk launched the Sonar X1 Expanded, PC4K S-Type Expander/Gate Module, and the Sonar X1 Production Suite