Featured in Hitsquad's recommended list of the best DAW Software
Cubase was first released in 1989 to run on the Atari ST computer and it is among the oldest surviving Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). As a testament to its quality and popularity, Cubase is still being used around the world and is even considered by many as among the top music production software available.
It started out by merely supporting MIDI recording, but it has been developed continously - incorporating the latest technology into its design. The latest Cubase now comes with many features that cover a wide area of music production needs. It helps inspire creativity and songwriting, it simplifies recording both live and in the studio, it works great for various musicians be it solo or big band, it even supports modern electronic musicians, DJs and beat producers. Cubase now incorporates almost three decades of Steinberg's experience and expertise into one of the most cutting-edge digital audio workstation of our time.
- Key Editor
- Score Editor
- Drum Editor
- List Editor
- VST Expression 2
- Chord Assistant
- Chord Tracking
- MultiTrack Recording
- Virtual Control Room
- Sample Editing
- Advanced tempo detection
- Straightforward drum replacement
- Intelligent transient detection
- Warp Quantizing of multiple audio tracks
- Multitrack phase-accurate audio quantization
- Fast Comping
- Smart Multi-Track Editing
- VariAudio 2.0 for Vocal Editing
- Surround mixing
- Full automation
- Sidechaining for VST3 plug-ins
- Export to various audio file types
- Open GL video engine
- Channel Strips
- Professional Workflow
- Remote Control Support
- Various VST effects (66 real time audio effects)
- Various VST instruments (over 2,800 out of the box)
- 18 MIDI plugins
- Easy Collaboration and distribution of produced music
The vast majority of reviews have been very positive - here are links to a few:
Best USB Audio Interfaces
Changes in v7.0.4
- MixConsole improvements
- Chord Track improvements
- MIDI improvements
- Audio improvements
- ADR improvements
- Various other improvements
- Various bugs fixed
Changes in v7.0.3
- Improved MixConsole
- Score Editor
- Improved Steinberg Hub
- Enhanced MediaBay
- Default colors for track types
- EuCon Adapter improvements
- Plugin information window
Changes in v7.0.2
- More key commands assignable for MixConsole features
- Enhanced context menu on EQ bands
- Improved Control Room and meter
- Load/save settings of selected MixConsole channels (VMX file support)4
- Track Presets for Group / FX / VST Instrument return and Input / Output channels
- Appearance settings: preview and custom colors for MixConsole value cells
- Full track header coloring
- VST Connect SE 1.2
- Various bugfixes
Changes in v7
- New MixConsole
- Workflow improvements
- New Channel Strip
- New Channel Central
- Support for remote controllers
- Global Chord Track
- Chord Assistant
- Details here
Changes in v6.5.4
- Bugfix for Scrubbing
- Corrected Broadcast Wave Descriptions
- Bugfix for Prologue
Changes in v6.5.1 Trial
- Bugfix for drop outs when using VST Dynamics events
Changes in v6.5 Trial
- Added new synths - Padshop granular synth and Retrologue virtual analog synth with 700 presets
- New comping and audio quantizing tools
- DJ-EQ, MorphFilter effects and VST Amp Rack
- SoundCloud integration, Flac format support and 64 bit rewire.
New in v6.0.7
Maintenance update that resolves various reported issues for v6, as provided for by the development of Cubase 6.5 trial. For detailed information, please see the Version History
New in v6.0.5
Maintenance update includes full support for two WK-Audio remotes, refined automation handles, and improved decoding performance under Windows. The 6.0.5 update integrates several enhancements and fixes that make the Cubase experience even more exceptional.
New in v6.0.3
Based on community feedback, the 6.0.3 update provides several improvements, such as refined event opacity handling, enhanced gridline representation, Euphonix/Avid MC Pro remote control support and more efficient playback performance of HD video formats. In addition, several issues have been resolved.
New in v6.0.2
- Import and Export of MP3 files is available for Cubase 64-bit on Mac OS X.
- To make the difference between channel types in the mixer more obvious, the fader cap color of audio tracks has been changed to white and for group channels to blue.
- Fix: Content issues with missing audio data for HALion Sonic SE and LoopMash 2 in Cubase Artist 6 have been corrected.
- Fix: Potential mouse-click issues within Cubase when using some trackballs and related control software (for example, from Kensington) have been corrected.
- Fix: Stability using AudioWarp with élastique Pro algorithms has been improved.
- Fix: A warning message “invalid project” when saving a project after dragging and dropping MIDI files from BFD2 into the Cubase Project window has been corrected.
- Fix: Potential sound artefacts when using the MultiBandCompressor with small ASIO buffer sizes has been corrected.
- Fix: The user interface of the External FX panel has been redesigned and now displays the fader caps correctly.
- Fix: Potential MP3 decoding issues when encoding files with the LAME encoder have been corrected.
- Fix: An issue with misplaced automation tracks when closing and re-opening the same project has been corrected.
- Fix: Timing instability issues using ReWire-connected applications when working with sample rates other than 44.1 kHz has been corrected.
- Fix: Various potential part/event redraw (display) issues during editing operations in the Project window have been corrected.