Featured in our list of the Best Music Production Software
GarageBand for Mac is a digital audio workstation (DAW) and music sequencer, with guitar amp and effects modeling and other added features.
GarageBand is Mac's default music production software. When you run this app, you instantly transform your Mac computer into a powerful recording studio. With GarageBand, you can record each track one by one or bring the whole band over and lay down up to eight tracks simultaneously.
With GarageBand, you will run out of excuses in making music. If you don't have an instrument, you can use the built in 100+ software instruments or utilize the prerecorded instrument samples. If you don't have guitar effects, then you can just plug straight in and use the built in amp and effects modeling of Garageband. If you don't have a band to jam with, GarageBand can provide you with musicians and even back up singers. If you don't have a song, GarageBand has a plethora of songwriting and arranging tools that will help even the newbiest of all newbies to write their own song.
Finally if you don't know music or you don't know how to play an instrument - GarageBand has built in lessons for piano and guitar that will get you up and grooving in a short span of time, well with practice. So basically GarageBand will help you make music regardless of your level and situation.
To avoid confusion, GarageBand is currently labeled as GarageBand '11 which simply adds the year of the update which is 2011.
New Features of GarageBand '11:
- Flex Time - correct timing mistakes
- Groove Matching - automatically align rhythm and timing
- 40 Basic Lessons for piano and guitar
- Get immediate feedback with the lessons with the new "How did I play" feature.
- More guitar amps and stompbox effects
- GarageBand Artist Lessons (sold separately)
New Features in GarageBand 6.0.5:
- Updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS projects
- Fixes a playback issue with the GarageBand Lesson preview videos
- Corrects issues with some software instruments triggering incorrect or stuck notes
New Features in GarageBand 6.0.4:
- Bugfixes for GarageBand Lesson Store, tempo-based effects syncing and Magic GarageBand project files.
- Fixed some general compatibility issues
- Improved overall stability