More Feedback Machine offers ultra flexible delay effects ranging from bread & butter stuff to weird rhythmic deconstructions. The idea behind MFM is to give the musician as much control over 4 separate delay lines as possible, and having them interact, as well as having means to modulate delay parameters in realtime.
Delay x 4: As any cool delay, MFM can sync to host tempo. If you prefer milliseconds, they're here as well. If you look for something like a comb filter, you can tune MFM2's delays chromatically. 4 identical delay lines provide for 4 taps - each with panning, filter, output level and lots of feedback options. There are lots of options, yet the concept of MFM2 is quite simple, keeping it easy to use.
Feedback Control: The heart of MFM2 is the feedback matrix, found in the center of its editor window. There are several pre-defined matrices that cover most needs for almost any type of delay effect, including ping pong, multi-tap and feedback delay networks for reverb-type effects. A User Matrix lets one choose the amount of feedback from each delay line into each other - which was the standard in MFM1.
Modulation:The easiest way to cover the topic of modulation would be: There's nothing that can not be modulated! - Expanding that a bit further, here are some examples:
- Put LFOs on delay times to create warm and subtle chorusing effects. Really warm sounding delays are one of MFM2's speciality.
- Play delay times over MFM2's built-in keyboard control to create tuned comb filter effects - this takes MidiNotes in hosts that support Midi input to effects, but it can also be automated in hosts that don't.
- Use Multistage envelopes to create evolving filter sweeps or gating effects - the Multistage envelopes can be triggered by MidiNotes or the built-in keyboard control.
- While the above mentioned modulations are pretty obvious, check out the presets for the really weird stuff. The possibilities are endless.
New in v2.1
- Native 64-bit support for Mac AU and VST Win.
- Extra factory presets by Tasmodia.
- New PDF manual, with hyperlinks.
- Improved compatibility of RTAS (Mac) version, supports "3-finger salute" automation.
- Improved synchronization.
- Adds Cocoa view to AU version.