Symbolic Composer is the largest and most popular high-level music language available for computers. Symbolic Composer 5.4 totals over 1000 music algorithms suitable for modern, dance, classic, electronic, ambient, contemporary and experimental styles. Symbolic Composer 5.4 also includes Common Lisp interpreter that lets the composer extend and customize compositional functionalities.
Symbolic Composer covers 300 microtonal world-music and theoretical scales, and all chords and scales used in the last 500 years of music history. Besides providing the composer a toolbox of traditional composition tools Symbolic Composer also enables the composer to explore advanced fractal and chaos mathematics to determine compositional elements.
Besides frontline contemporary composition styles, Symbolic Composer 5.4 supports any other frontline styles as well, no matter if they are techno, ambient, neo-classic, or exprerimental styles -- the flexibility of SCOM comes up from its free music languge that allows any musical expressions to take place. Shortly, Symbolic Composer's rich music molecular language enables the composer to extend musical capabilities and helps to realize the maximum power of existing studio investments spent on synthesizers and sequencers.
- Context-Free Scoring Language allows composing music of any style and complexity
- Historical & Contemporary Music Functions supply the classic compositional power-tools
- Mathematical Generators & Processors provide fractals, chaos and number-theory utilities
- Symbolic Generators & Processors allow recursion, l-systems, fibonacci etc. sequences
- DNA/RNA Processors enable to turn genetic data into music
- Programmable Neurons supply added intelligence to instrumentation
- Programmable Phrase Library allows sequential drum and chording pattern generation
- Free Score Library provides templates to start with
- Build-in Hyper-Documentation helps using the system
- Standard MIDI file output enables to use any sequencer, hard disk editor, sound module, or software synthesizer for playback & final assembly
- Integrated Lisp Language allows to write own functions, documents and menus
- Modular Plug-in Expansion helps to distribute own developments to other users
- 300 Chords, Scales & Microtonals supply a complete coverage of tonalities used in our planet - and you are naturally free to discover your own
- Over 1000 Algorithms included, anyone can be connected to anyone in the processing net for maximum creative freedom
This version for Windows is a major upgrade.
- Re-organized Menu Structure (easier to browse and locate functions).
- Éxtended Documentation (added special functions used in Score Lib scores, now fully covering and correct).
- Extended Essential Lisp (Lisp forms mentioned in the documentation are now covered, too).
- Extended and Customized System Index (quick browsing of all the main SCOM categories + define your own menus).
- Output folder (launch SCOM MIDI files from System Index).
- Easy Desktop Placement (memorizes Window size and placement).
- Scrolling Grapher (allows bigger graphs to be scrolled).
- Listener (fixes high-light problems and auto-scrolling).
- Launch Web Pages (composition-related sites, Lisp Docs and SCOM User Group integrated in the Menus).
- Improved Desktop Restore (restore now also graphs, memorize index menu selection, places last Editor on top, easier to continue later).
- Snapshots (make a snapshot of current windows, and restore them later, quick project recovery, easy to switch between larger projects).
- Def Evaluation (quickly evaluate a command in docs, or score without selecting it at first).
- Indent Selection (indents selection with a command, custom indentation also possible).
- Copy/Paste (standard paste/write over selection).
- Close Other Editors (close unrelated documents to clutter up screen).
- Hide/Show Windows (access Windows desktop).
- Go Menu (extended set of SCOM commands covered, quick jump to document subtitles and Lisp forms).
- Related Menu (shows related documents and their categories, answers the question "where am I?").
- Intuitive save-path (save & open uses the topped editor path below, which is the mostly likely candidate to work with).
- Null-Compiler added to Eval Buf command (clears Class System bindings between songs, no strange errors due score overlapping).
- Selection-based commands and keyboard equivalents added to the menus.
- Terminal Blocking (error-trapping spots errors before, minimized Terminal Window messages, more smooth SCOM operation).
- Freeze Blocking (all processes including searches now run concurrently and are stoppable, no halting).
- Advanced Tonality Processing (sorting, mixing and compatibility between tonality functions works now transparent, re-organized Tonality Menus).
- Modulations (find the best solutions between transitions of given scales).
- Positional Chords (for commercial/film styles).
- Enrichment Rules (emulate Pop-Music chord-voicing, extend position chords into chromaticism).
- Tonality Analysis (analyze scale and chord progressions, find the best candidates with minimum or maximum differences and energy).
- Tonality Symbols (attach notes to a symbol, and realize tonality symbols with SCOM's symbol generators, or with manual entries).
- Tonality Library Notelists (define tonality library entries with ad-hook notelists).
- Recursive Section Handling (control generative section contents).
- Number Theory Additions (number sequence-generators added + web interface to integer sequences provided for more).
- Cosmix Toolbox (many additions, requires manual tune-ups due http protocol in LW win is not compatible with the websites used).
- Added Conversion and Supplementary Functions (in many categories).
Changes in v6.3.2
- Bugfixes for MIDI output
- Bugfixes for project handling
- Improved compatibility
- New menu commands
- Customize your editor layout
- More themes and 2 icon sets
- Grouped browser listings and backup control