Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory footprint and native support for several popular audio formats.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player
- Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC
- Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives
- Full Unicode support on Windows NT
- ReplayGain support
- Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large playlists
- Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file info box and masstagger)
- Highly customizable playlist display
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts
- Most of standard components are opensourced under BSD license (source included with the SDK)
Changes in 1.1.23
- Updated FFmpeg code to 1.1.1.
- FFmpeg DLLs now use unique names to avoid collisions with certain other software.
- Reverted problematic Media Library folder monitoring tweaks from 1.2.
- “Downmix 5.1 to stereo” DSP now accepts more different channel masks.
- FLAC decoding improvements (beta 3):
- Work-around for certain broken files producing loud glitches.
- SSE optimizations to counter slowdown from the above work-around.
- File Integrity Verifier component now detects such files.
- Worked around incompatibility with some very old Vorbis files (final).
Changes in 1.2.1
- Bugfix for Menu commands to switch between playback output devices not entirely working.
- Bugfix for Incorrect decode of odd/malformed Vorbis files.
- Bugfix for Archive Reader DLL was accidentally made dependant on MSVCR100.DLL in 1.2.
- Improved compatibility with malformed AIFF files.
- Bugfix for 1.2 regression - some filesystem operations in monitored folders would cause foobar2000 to crash.
Changes in 1.1.17
- Bugfix for rare crash bug with “full file buffering”.
- Bugfix for oscilloscope inversion bug
- Enhanced media library relative path handling in portable installs.
- Ctrl+A now works in generic text popup dialogs (popup_message API).
- Converter now works on non-seekable sources again, such as Internet streams.
- Crash reporting improved for more meaningful data about deadlocks.
- Updated zlib to 1.2.7.
Changes in 1.1.16
- Bugfix for playback/output preferences crash on Windows 2003.
- ID3v2 tagging compatibility improvements:
- BugFix for properties dialog field copy/paste inconsistency when copying specific fields from single to multiple files.
- Added additional warnings when trying to scan a very large group of tracks as a single album.
- Addressed extreme memory usage when scanning a large group of tracks as a single album.
- More effecient embedded cuesheet handling code.
- Faster FLAC tag updates when full file rewrite is necessary.
- Sanitized FLAC tag updating behaviors in low-memory conditions.
Changes in 1.1.15 Beta 2
- Added basic MusicBrainz tagging capability to the audio CD ripper.
- CD ripper can now look up CD information automatically each time a new CD is about to be ripped.
- Worked-around shell integration incompatibility with Windows 8.
- Converter performance tweaks for multi-core encoding (beta 2).
- Resolved incompatibility with Matroska files processed with mkvclean (beta 2).
- ID3v2: “rating” tags now compatible with Windows Media Player (beta 2).
- Resolved Converter incompatibility with new Opus encoder (beta 2).