Devastor is a simple Multiband Distortion Unit. It is an enhanced version of the distortion unit from Phoscyon.
Devastor consists of three blocks: dynamic-gain module, diode-clipper distortion and three filter sections. Each of the filters can process the signal before or after the diode-clipper. The filters are not the peaking EQ type which are used in classic multiband distortion They are like those found in analogue synthesizers (low pass, high pass, band pass and band reject) - with adjustable resonance and cutoff. As a result, Devastor has a completely unique sound.
Devastor can be used to distort and enhance a wide range of sounds - from full-on acid synth sounds to guitar fuzz or analogue amp with combo speaker. It can even be used with drums to make them sound more dirty and dynamic. Devastor isn't just good at creating distorted monster sounds. It can also be used subtlety to improve the timbre and character of more gentle sounds. Reducing the preamp gain, increasing the threshold and selecting a soft-knee for the dynamics will bring out more warmth and detail in a sound without introducing distortion.
- Diode-clipper emulation.
- Analogue-like filters.
- Dynamics flattener.
- Presets organised into groups.
- MIDI learn function.
- Pre/post processing mode for each filter.
- 64-bit internal processing.
- Low aliasing output.
New in v1.3.1
- Supports both 32 bit and 64 bit
- New preset browser with improved features.
- Better versatility with easy-to-use options control configuration.
- Redesigned MidiCC control including improved Midi Learn mode and assigns management.
- Bugfixes for some major and minor bugs and compatibility issues.
New in v1.2.0
- New features: Full compatibility with Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x).
- New features: Distortion function can be selected from six predefined functions.
- New features: Dry/Wet parameter has been added.
- New features: Processing quality settings have been added.
- New features: Filters can be turned off now.
- New features: Bank of presets and MIDI CC mapping available at startup can be customised (factory settings, empty slots and user defined files are available).
- New features: Recently used load/save directory is now stored within plugin's ini file.
- New features: Presets storing method can be customised.
- Changes: CPU usage has been optimized about 25%.
- Changes: Range of filters' resonance has been widened.
- Changes: Filters' frequency calculations has been improved.
- Changes: MIDI learn functionality was improved.
- Changes: Preset management was improved.
- Changes: Presets and MIDI CC map filenaming was changed regarding to changes in all d16's plugins. Loading of old files is fully supported.
- Changes: Factory presets were updated.
- Bug fixes: GUI issues and conflicts occurring during simultaneous work with other D16 plugins- fixed.
- Bug fixes: VU meters refreshing issues - fixed.
- Bug fixes: Pop-up menus displaying issues - fixed.
- Bug fixes: Problems with plugin installed in user defined folders (Mac VST only) - fixed.
- Known issues: Due to adding of new parameters some hosts can notify about changes during loading old projects. However it should not cause any problems with them.