Max/MSP is a graphical environment for music, audio, and multimedia. In use worldwide for over fifteen years by performers, composers, artists, teachers, and students, Max/MSP is the way to make your computer do things that reflect your individual ideas and dreams.
- Create and run an arbitrary number of applications and tasks, depending on the memory and processing speed of your computer.
- Design cross-platform programs and user interfaces interactively using hundreds of modular objects and UI widgets.
- A series of over 40 interactive tutorials teach you to use Max step-by-step.
- Interactive on-line help gives you a working demonstration of every object and its features.
- A fast and easy way to use your computer to control hardware (or vice versa) using systems such as Teleo from Makingthings or the iCube from Infusion Systems.
- Built-in support for an unilimited number of MIDI input and output streams (using MME on Windows and Core MIDI on Macintosh). Plus support for serial devices and mouse tracking.
- Quicktime movie playback.
- Interactive program editing and debugging features, such as foreground/background, message tracing, object inspectors, intelligent copy and paste.
- An easy-to-use cross-platform SDK for extending the software that’s been adopted by a large community of users letting Max do everything from networking to statistics. (Check out the Max/MSP Resource Guide for some examples.)
- Over 150 objects covering all the basic elements of synthesis, sampling, and signal processing.
- MME, DirectSound, and ASIO audio hardware support on Windows, and Core Audio support on Mac OS X. Customize and save hardware interface setups to optimize for low latency or greater CPU efficiency.
- Over 25 interactive tutorials present a complete course in digital audio.
- Full-featured waveform display and editing object.
- Unlimited simultaneous hard-disk recording and playback streams using files from 1 to 32 tracks.
- File playback includes varispeed, looping, backwards play.
- Graphical filter design and envelope/function generator interfaces.
- Support for AIFF, WAV, Sound Designer II (Macintosh only), AU, MP3 (requires Quicktime) audio files.
- Support for building polyphonic MIDI-controlled synthesizers and samplers, or polyphonic anything.
- Hosts VST plug-ins and synths (in any configuration you can imagine).
- Tons of cool examples showing techniques such as FFT-based filtering and convolution, 5.1 spatial surround processing, crossovers, audio-rate sequencing, and vocoding.