Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard is a MIDI events generator and receiver. It doesn't produce any sound by itself, but can be used to drive a MIDI synthesizer (either hardware or software, internal or external). You can use the computer's keyboard to play MIDI notes, and also the mouse. You can use the Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard to display the played MIDI notes from another instrument or MIDI file player. To do so, connect the other MIDI port to the input port of VMPK.
- 1 MIDI IN port
- 1 MIDI OUT/THRU port
- Configurable number of keys/octaves
- Configurable key size
- MIDI standards compliant
- Configurable computer keyboard mappings
- Translations to Spanish, Russian, German, French, Czech and Swedish
- Multiplatform: available for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows
Bugfix release v0.5.1
- Fixed bug #3599827. No default keyboard shortcuts were available in 0.5.0 on fresh installations
- Qt5 build compatibility (not yet fully functional)
New in v0.5.0
- RtMidi 1.0.15 patched by Gilles Filippini enabling several MIDI drivers to be compiled at once, and allowing the user to select one at runtime.
- Fixed Bug #3507732. Transpose does not update correctly the octave in note name. Thanks to Patrick Meaney for the bug report
- Fixed Bug #3503768. Removing the shortcut for an action having default shortcut keys, the change is not saved upon exit, so the shortcut appears again the next execution.
- Fixed Bug #3502659. Saved preferences not set correctly.
- New implementation of the Network MIDI driver (UDP multicast).
- MIDI channel state enforcement (RFE #3517750)
- MIDI IN Omni mode.
- Independently enable/disable note input using keyboard, mouse, and touch screen.
- Note highlight color policies (single, double, one color for each MIDI channel, one color for each grade in the chromatic scale). Color palettes editor dialog. Option to show a colorized scale.
- XML comments within keyboard map files are allowed.
New in v0.4.0
- Touch screen support (multi-touch) if it is supported by the OS and hardware.
- RtMIDI-1.0.14 with Jack MIDI support.
- New network MIDI driver (UDP multicast) compatible with IpMIDI and QmidiNet.
- New platform: Symbian3 port.
- New translations: Dutch by Wouter Reckman, and Swedish by Magnus Johansson.
- Fixed a crash when changing the octave base while channel is 10.
- New build options:
- RTMIDI_DRIVER: selects the RtMIDI backend. Default depends on the OS. Allowed values: ALSA, JACK, COREMIDI, IRIX, WINMM, NET.
- PROGRAM_NAME: selects the executable name.
New in v0.3.3:
- Option to represent MIDI velocity as highlight color tint
- Tool shortcuts, with a shortcuts editor dialog borrowed from Qtractor
- Language menu, allowing to select and change languages on the fly
- New "About Translation" dialog. Linux translation files moved to the program data directory
- Fixed knobs and sliders tool-tip positions
- Allow to trigger defined but hidden keys
- Process incoming controller events: all sounds/notes off, and reset controllers.
- Translations updated
Cheap MIDI Keyboard Roundup